Monday, February 14, 2011

48 hours!

I'm happy to announce I've been 48 hours (2 days) dairy-free, wheat-free, and sugar-free. Natural sugars are okay. :) It's been a long journey of cleansing, so I thought I would share the food journey for anyone who is thinking about this. It may be foolish or very wise to start this around Valentine's Day, but I got enough support last week with ideas that I just had to start right away.

Last week I became aware of all the dairy, wheat and sugar in my life. Though I tried to just cut it out, that was not the correct way. I needed options before I went completely free. So Garrett and I went to Whole Foods and went crazy. All the milk substitutes and bread ideas. With plenty of options to eat, I started on Sunday.

It wasn't too bad on Sunday but I really wanted a cookie or hot chocolate. I did eat lots of almonds, clementines, gluten-free bread. For lunch I made a ham sandwich with soy-cheese. Rice cheese is not that good. Then we ate a lovely lamb and brussels sprouts with frozen fruit for dessert. I survived!

That gave me great motivation for my second day. Egg whites with spinach and mushrooms greeted me for breakfast. Then I had 2 gluten-free, soy-cheese, ham sandwiches (not a good thing for a second day). Handful of nuts. This did not help me since it was Valentine's day with tons of chocolate and cookies outside my door. I was so sad to not partake. I ended up getting a headache.

So to save me from going off this, I went to Whole Foods and found their naturally sweetened soda - yummy! Once there I found the perfect dinner - tomales. And I was inspired for tomorrow's lunch - sushi. The journey is tough but everyone says that in a couple of days I will feel fabulous and not miss all of these things. Fortunately this is not a complete life change but a cleansing diet. Wish me luck!

2 comments: